Thursday, January 29, 2009

After a month (well almost)

Hi all,
It is almost a month from release of Sigmore Mines 2 and I must admit, I'm happy how the things are going. Looks like there are no show-stoppers bugs in my game, and the game itself was well received, by the players :) (thanks for the mails guys!:) ). I am also surprised that Sigmore Mines 1 is not dead. I thought that when I release SM2, no one will buy SM1 - guess what, I was wrong :).

Looks like even with this beta testing phase, I still managed to include such thing as "Strength" instead of "Strenght".. I don't want to release a new version only to fix spelling error, so I think I will implement new functionality also. Someone suggested such thing as high-score table. I really like the idea, especially when connected with posting score online. I am just not sure what player actions should be incorporated into a score and how to weight them.



By the way. Maybe someone know free subscription system which I could use to notify the participants of a new versions of my games? What do you think about building community around my website? How would you like it to look like?

5 comments:

Slayer Gothpaladin said...

Well, I have tried out the new game, but it is very hard and some features from SM1 are also missing. One negative point was the magic: I found it unuseless at startup, because of the too high mana cost and the high book prices. It was not a good idea when you made them expensive. Another negative point is that the game after the ratty dungeons is unplayable difficult. The "level 100" monsters are unable to be stroke, but they always kill us in max 4 turns, independent from our vitality level. Reduce their strength right NOW! And if there could any sound effects or musics, I'd be much happier!

For high scores, we could calculate the XP quantity that we collected until the end of the game... And a last thing: where have the magicians and the archers hidden? Why only one kind of character is available?

For the subscription system, I'd recommend you the Google Groups...you'd give us a signal about new version releases in e-mail for those you have invited into the group or connected...I hope I could help you.

Anonymous said...

I also think that SM2 is very hard, but SM1 too easy with magic.

Kamil said...

Well balancing a game is not an easy stuff.. Some people like it hard, some want it just plain easy. I find it more challenging and rewarding the way it is now.. Maybe I should make a poll about this?

Hm, I don't know what you are talking about Slayer, but there are no level 100 monsters in this game..

Slayer Gothpaladin said...

OK, it's true that there aren't any level 100 monsters, but that's why I took the word beetween these characters: "!"
So they just _seem like_ level 100, cause I could only reach lvl 6 when I found the lvl 12 monsters that kill us at once!

Kamil said...

The difference between SM1 and SM2 is difficulty scaling. In SM1 you could not kill monsters at all (well sort of), go deeper and deeper and fight level 1 final boss, because the games looked at your character level before generating monsters for each level. In SM2 the game is not looking at you, then it comes to monster level, in other words it is better that you kill all monsters in the level before you proceed deeper.